Monday, January 4, 2010

Don't trust your GPS

Morons. God must love them because he made so many. For the full story, go here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/northwest/v-lite/story/1015176.html.

Why do people trust their GPS instead of looking at a map OR just plain using common sense? How many times have we heard of these morons following their GPSs and getting stuck in the snow, almost always in the Cascades in Oregon? Does it not occur to them that the GPS has no way of knowing that these so-called "shortcuts" are covered in snow and the roads are impassable? Sure, you probably can use the forest service roads...IN THE SUMMER...but not in the dead of winter.

I've used a GPS numerous times, but generally in conjunction with a map. And if my eyes tell me one thing, i.e., the direction the GPS says to go will obviously be incorrect, and the GPS says another, then I trust my eyesight AND my instinct.

I don't have much sympathy for these idiots. For the baby involved in the story, of course. It's not responsible for the stupidity of its parents and shouldn't have to suffer because of that so I'm glad they finally got out. And maybe, just maybe they'll not repeat their error in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment