Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I've had it with some knitwits

And just so you know, I meant to spell knitwit with a K.

Today, I am MAD. And I am done shopping at stores like Michael's or Joann Fabrics, etc. when it comes to my fiber arts needs. I'm talking knitting mostly. I have tried unsuccessfully several times to find the size double-point knitting needles that I need for a project. Recently, I have taken up knitting again and while I have lots and lots of single-point needles, I have almost zilch double-point ones.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it is when you want to make hats or socks and you want to do it without seams. My quest has been for size 5 double-points and I have been all over town looking for them. And I don't want any wooden ones, neither bamboo nor birch or pine or whatever. I happen to LIKE aluminum needles. They're virtually indestructible and will last long after I'm gone. Heck, I still have my first pair of knitting needles and they're right around 40 years old.

You go to the websites of these craft/sewing stores and they say, oh, indeed, they carry them. However, the truth of the matter is that the actual brick-and-mortar store may carry a couple of sizes, but they are perpetually out of the size you need. And the websites aren't set up as stores where you can purchase them online. Nope, they just direct you to your local retail outlet.

I've given up on them. Even the small, non-chain yarn stores don't carry what I want. From now on, I will buy my needles online from places that offer ALL sizes of needles.

And they wonder why people prefer to shop online rather than patronize the retail outlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment